Ocean City, and surrounding area, is fast developing into a widely recognized area to set down roots and raise your family. The Eastern Shore offers an award-winning school system for your child to exceed and reach his or her full potential.
Ocean City Elementary
- Ocean City Elementary School (OCES) is a Pre-K through Grade 4 National Blue-Ribbon School of Excellence. Their vision is to meet students’ academic needs in an environment that nurtures their emotional, social, and physical well-being and prepares them for success in a global society. OCES prepares students to pursue a career of their choice and to become productive citizens. The school motto: “I have a curious mind, a caring heart, and the courage to never give up” encourages and empowers students to seek information, love learning, treat others with kindness and respect, and to always, always work hard. The type of student they hope to grow is a continuous learner, an appreciator of the arts, and a giver of their personal gifts. At OCES, teachers and staff follow the motto and hold high expectations for themselves and their students. There is a commitment to provide a safe, orderly, caring and attractive environment in which students can learn and grow. The staff, parents and students are united in their commitment to educate students to be leaders of the future.
- Showell Elementary is a Pre-K through 3rd grade school located in a beautiful rural setting between the towns of Showell and scenic Ocean Pines. The facility offers a spacious media center, a beautiful and educational nature trail, an interactive playground, two computer labs, high-speed wireless internet, and a variety of technologies to enhance student learning. The facility employs full-time art, English-language learner, speech, early intervention, music, and physical and special education teachers. The enthusiastic staff provides the highest quality of teaching and learning. Each student has specific learning needs that we strive to meet. Showell has a strong PTA and many active, generous community organizations that provide financial and educational support.
- Buckingham Elementary is in the town of Berlin, approximately 10 miles west of Ocean City in Worcester County, Maryland. As a neighborhood school, Buckingham Elementary serves 550 students in grades Pre-K through 4. Buckingham Elementary is situated in a Fine Arts District and integrates all forms of the arts across its curriculum. Students at BES have access to a wealth of technology and digital resources as part of the 1:1 district initiative, where each student in grades 1-4 has access to their own iPad/Chromebook to use during the school day. Buckingham Elementary School has been recognized by the Maryland State Department of Education as a Positive Behaviors and Supports Exemplar/Gold School. In 2017 Buckingham was selected as a National Title I Distinguished School. BES was also named a 2018 Maryland Green School through developing sustainable practices.
- Berlin Intermediate provides a rigorous educational program for all students that is sensitive to individual needs. The goal is to establish high expectations and engage students in effective educational practices to ensure measurable growth and academic achievement. At BIS, all students Believe, Imagine, Succeed while practicing being respectful, responsible and ready to learn. The staff at BIS, made up of teachers, counselors, administrators and support staff welcome parents and family to participate in the child’s education. Their belief is that academic and social success of students can only reach its fullest potential when everyone works together.
Stephen Decatur Middle
- Stephen Decatur Middle School (SDMS), a Maryland Blue Ribbon School of Excellence and a National School of Excellence, is located in Berlin, Maryland, just minutes from the beautiful beaches of Ocean City. They have approximately 620 students in grades 7 and 8. The seventh and eighth grades consist of four teaching teams of approximately 80 students each. They are fortunate to be a Professional Development School through Salisbury University, training many highly qualified student interns as future teachers. The school has been recognized on numerous occasions for various achievements: success with state testing, Principal of the Year by the Maryland Student Government Association, State Technology Education Teacher of the Year, and Maryland Teacher of the Year. They are fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Eight of their teachers are Nationally Board Certified. SDMS offers students a wide variety of activities that include band, chorus, SGA, Drama, Digital Media, STEM classes, National Junior Honor Society, and various after school academies.
Stephen Decatur High
- Stephen Decatur High School is the largest of Worcester County’s three high schools, with enrollment over 1,450 students. Centered around a solid foundation of academic coursework in the areas of language, science, math, and social sciences, Decatur students also receive access to new technologies and fine arts opportunities in theatrics, music, and the visual arts. They have a first-class cadet program, sponsored by the United States Government, which provides wide-ranging leadership training. More than anything, Decatur provides opportunity to each student, which shows in their accomplishments.
- Decatur received the following awards:
- Maryland Blue Ribbon School, Award-Winning Choirs, Legal Interns, Drama Program, Student Operated TV Studio, Character Education School, Maryland Most Beautiful People Award, Wendy’s High School Heisman Program/National Finalist Student Award, President Bush-Daily Points of Light Award, Worcester County Outstanding Volunteer Youth Group Award, Maryland State “Sherry Unger Award,” $10,000 National Intel and Scholastic School of Distinction Award, Maryland Center for Character Education School of the Year, Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore Educational Leadership Award, SMART Showcase School, After School Academy The Global Village Community Foundation Grant, The Bayside Conference Sportsmanship Award, Special Education Creative Achievement Award, Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore Educational Leadership Award, Recipient of Maryland Safe and Supportive Schools Initiative, Re-accreditation through Middle States, Siemens STEM Fellow, First Place-Rookie Seed Award and First Place-Underwriter’s Laboratory for Pit Safety at Chesapeake Regional FIRST Robotics Tournament, First Place-Underwriter’s Laboratory for Pit Safety at Regional FIRST Robotics Tournament in Washington, DC, First Place-Alliance Award in Maryland Botball Regional Tournament, Third Place-Science Olympiad at Salisbury University, PBIS Gold Recipient.
Worcester Technical High
- Worcester Technical High School (WTHS) challenges all students to prepare today for tomorrow. The school serves students who elect to pursue a trade certificate and preparation for college. There are 21 programs of study, including the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Academy. WTHS utilizes the state of the art technology used in business and industry. Students at WTHS have received regional, state, and national recognition for skill and leadership performance. Together, students, parents, and teachers set high expectations for students to achieve academically, technically, and socially. The motto of Worcester Technical High School is “Teaching the Whole Student.”
WTHS provides high quality career education and training programs through holistic teaching and learning.
Accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Universities, Active Skills USA Chapter, FFA, FBLA, student organizations serving agriculture science and business, local, regional, state and national recognition, Staff Recognition for Outstanding Teaching.
Seaside Christian Academy
- Seaside Christian Academy established an academic institution committed to honoring God’s spirit and the spirit of the founding fathers. SCA provides a foundation of academic excellence second to none based on the scriptures of Jesus Christ.
- Worcester Preparatory School is a vibrant learning community. Faculty and staff work hard to provide coursework that encourages students to build a foundation for higher-level studies. WPS designed courses to ignite curiosity and creativity. And gives students an understanding of themselves, their peers, and the world around them.
- Founded in 1970, WPS is a dynamic learning community of 500 students Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12. The Classes of 2017 and 2018 included 34 Advanced Placement Scholars and one AP National Scholar. Honor societies includes the National Honor Society, French National Honor Society, Spanish National Honor Society, Art National Honor Society, International Thespian Society and the Cum Laude Society.
The Salisbury School
- TSS engages each student in a demanding college preparatory education based on rigorous academics, experiential learning, physical, and artistic potential. They prepares students for the highest levels of academic pursuit, ready to lead a well-rounded life of purpose and creativity. TSS values independent thinking, community responsibility, inner discipline, embracing life’s challenges, and a willingness to explore cultural differences.
* Worcester County Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Supervisor of Human Resources Worcester County Board of Education 6270 Worcester Highway, Newark, MD 21841. (410) 632-5000.
To learn more about the local community, events and concierge level secrets of the Eastern Shore, contact Mechelle Nichols, Luxury Collection Specialist, at 410.430.1575 (cell) or mnichols@LuxuryShoreLiving.com.