Ocean Pines is a planned, residential community nestled on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, only 5 miles from bustling Ocean City, and features more than nine miles of waterfront property on 3,000 acres of wooded areas. Amenities include a beachfront restaurant in Ocean City, and a public Yacht Club in Ocean Pines. There are also five pools, two marinas, a premier racquet sports complex, and a Robert Trent Jones Sr.-designed championship golf course. Today the community has 8,452 platted lots and is home to 12,000 full-time residents and 8,000 part-time residents and guests.
History of Ocean Pines, Maryland
The community of Ocean Pines opened for business in July of 1968. Nestled on 3,500 acres of former farm and wooded land with over nine miles of waterfront property, Ocean Pines began as a quiet resort area. While the five-mile distance from Ocean City has not changed, the face of Ocean Pines has aged gracefully over the decades. Following a rapid growth and development of both the residential and business communities.
Construction started on the first phase of Ocean Pines on July 12, 1968. The community started a small resort and has grown into the largest residential community in Worcester County.
Important Dates in Ocean Pines History
- 1968: Road construction began; Opening Day of sales was July 12
- 1969: Boise Cascade purchased 3,500 acres of land; first home sold to John & Mickey King
- 1970: First year-round residents Jerome & Gloria Richards occupied home; Route 90 opened
- 1971: Beach Club, Swim & Racquet Club opened; Equestrian Center opened
- 1972: Eighteen-hole golf course opened; Ocean Pines Association formed
- 1974: Community Hall built
- 1975: Yacht Club & Marina built; Sports Core Pool & tennis courts opened
- 1981: New South Side Firehouse dedicated
- 1986: Pines Plaza opened
- 1989: Ocean Pines Memorial Pavilion built in White Horse Park
- 1990: New tennis center opened at Manklin
- 1992: Cathell Road extended into Ocean Pines community
- 2003: Fundraising efforts led by resident Barbara Kissel and community volunteers resulted in newly installed playground at Manklin
- 2005: Worcester County Veterans Memorial at Ocean Pines dedicated
- 2009: Ocean Pines Skate Park opened
- 2012: Ocean Pines Farmers Market opened; Ocean Pines Dog Park opened
- 2013: New Yacht Club construction project broke ground; all 18 greens were renovated on golf course
- 2014: New Yacht Club opened
- 2017: New pickleball courts and platform tennis courts opened at Manklin; Farmers Market expanded, changing its name to Farmers & Artisans Market after breaking vendor
- registration history
- 2018: 50th anniversary celebrated
- 2020: New Golf Clubhouse opened
To learn more about the community of Ocean Pines, and other concierge level secrets, contact Mechelle Nichols, Luxury Collection Specialist, at 410.430.1575 (cell) or mnichols@LuxuryShoreLiving.com.